Underwater cameras are one of the dandiest inventions of 21st-century technology. If you are a sea or a fishing enthusiast, your hobby will leave desires for more without an underwater camera. You’re going to find many uses for them, and once you do, you’ll see how easy it is to grow fond of them.
Underwater cameras are used to capture and digitally visualize the life and environment underwater. Very much like the regular camera, only you got to set the camera underwater or use any transportation, i.e. drone to reach it to the depth point where you want it to take photos or record. Underwater cameras have been pretty attainable nowadays, even many modern updates of smartphone support underwater photography, so that any average person can enjoy the features.
But of course, there are cameras made precisely for this purpose, which are equipped with many advanced features made to better the service and experience while using it. They are made with waterproof materials; you have to watch out for depth, water pressure and angle for the photography to come out okay. This is going to be a discussion about how to use underwater camera along with a few tips and tricks.
Uses of Underwater Camera
The applications of underwater cameras are pretty versatile. You can do a lot of fun stuff with the camera and also professional videography. The opportunities are never-ending. The market also has a variety of options available, while keeping in mind the vast number of customers and their different field of choices to use the camera to, ranging in a fairly wide price range.
- Marine Exploration: Underwater voyages in the very depth of the ocean would be impossible without having an underwater camera. The specialized devices made for this purpose are used to disclose a world to us, where physically roaming is tough.
- Capturing Sports Moments: We enjoy many water sports and to capture the exciting moments underwater cameras are used. Thus, we get mesmerizing shots of fantastic players in the game.
- Underwater Documentary: Exploring the deep sea is another large field the underwater cameras can be used in. Many wildlife and nature-based channels create educational documentaries on sea life and environment, and underwater cameras are the only means to do so.
- Personal Photography: You can also capture your fun moments underwater with the portable underwater cameras and smartphones with a built-in waterproof camera.
- Fishing and Snorkelling: One of the most common uses of a portable underwater camera. Using an underwater camera on ice fishing, dock fishing, as well as kayak fishing not only reduces the time of dull old waiting but also added a certain level of fun to it. You’ll be able to see the fish bite also the beautiful scenery of the world underwater.
How to Use Underwater Camera for Marine Photography
- After you have chosen your camera equipment, you’d need to set the camera configuration depending on the murkiness of water and depth. It is wise to turn the flush on to forced mode, so it adds a certain originality to the photography, unlike the blue-ish effect of auto mode. However, if the subject is no far than 3ft of the camera, you should turn the internal flash on to get a clear vision.
- The most common setting for underwater photography is macro mode ranging from 2.5cm to 60 cm. But you’ll have to turn the macro mode off if you’re proceeding to focus further.
- In macro mode, it is advised to set the focus in zoomed-out mode. When you zoom in, it fails the purpose of using macro mode. If you want better focus, then rather than focusing it is advised to move closer to the subject, it also results in better colour contrast. Capturing from eye level maintains the aesthetic of the photograph.
- To reduce lag, use focus locking feature. You can use auto mode or manual mode while setting up, although the latter requires profound experience and researches.
- For both photo and videography, it is better to pace yourself, be one with the marine life, so you don’t make any abrupt movement and disrupt or scare off the subject(s).
How to Use Underwater Camera for Fishing
There are portable underwater cameras in the market made exclusively for this purpose. By showing you the abodes of underwater, it helps you get rid of the guesswork and waiting.
- For ice fishing, first conduct a research on the place where you want to go fishing, given the depth, environment and habitat what type of species it holds. Then cut a hole big enough to get the camera inside the water, repeat this process until you found a place with more fish activity.
- For dock and kayak fishing, skipping the ice cutting part, you’ll have to choose an advantageous area for fishing by determining the environment and what species may inhabit there.
- The work of camera doesn’t end on just choosing the fishing area; you have to lay the bait and keep monitoring it with the camera, even a small change in the condition may require a different lure approach.
- Nowadays, the cameras in the market support the equipment that allows you to measure the depth, temperature and water pressure, you can adjust the lighting depending on the density of the water. You’ll have to work on angling of the camera, so you get maximum landscape covered for your continued supervision.
Technologies have made our lives easier and connected us to many amazing experiences. Although choosing the right device for the right purpose is harder than it seems. So do your research before buying one and keep the manual that comes with the unit. It will help a lot to answer many questions that you might have about the device. With that being said, we have reached the end of the article, hope the above information was helpful to you, we recommend a lot more research and of course, go out there and gather the first-hand experience — best of luck.