If you’re an outdoor geek and looking for adventures now and then, camping, hiking, hunting, and such outing must be your drug. As an enthusiast, you should already know how vital a good camping axe is to make an adventure less complicated. Now, no need to feel uneasy if you’re an amateur in this field, you’ll find plenty help from around you, and if that’s not enough, Google is your friend.
Whether you have experiences or you’re just an amateur, there is no alternative to a great hatchet. From cleaning up the place to set up tent, then set up the tent to collecting firewoods, you’ll see that almost in every step you will find yourself in need of a good axe. Axes cut better and quicker than knives, making the perfect companion.
However, a regular-sized axe weighs quite a bit and is not convenient to move around with; people tend to prefer to move light while going on hiking, hunting, camping, etc. Thus comes the portable backpacking camping axes, they are ideal if you are looking for compact designed hatchets that are small enough to fit into tool bags but gets the job done.
Nevertheless, it isn’t easy to choose a camping hatchet for yourself, given that the market is full of options — each emphasizing different aspects of survival axes. The purpose of this article is to shade a bit light on the popular and efficient ones in the market right now, to help you decide what you may or may not want in your survival axe.
While Choosing the Best Camping Axe for Yourself
|CRKT Birler Compact Axe: Forged by War, Outdoor Camping or Pack Axe, High Carbon Steel, Tennessee Hickory Handle 2745
|Husqvarna 13 in. Wooden Handle Hatchet
|Kings County Tools Swiss Made Camping Axe. Vintage Never Used Built Real Work. Hardwood Handles
|Gerber Gator Combo Axe II [22-41420]
|1844 HelkoWerk Germany Traditional Rheinland Pack Axe
|Iunio Camping Axe Multi-tool Hatchet Survival Kit 17 inch Folding Portable Camp Axe for Outdoor Hiking Backpacking Hunting Emergency
Remind yourself to check for the following features while researching for a compact axe to buy:
- Check if the axe offers a blade sheath in the original package. It will protect the blade from wearing out fast and will help it to last long.
- Few extra features not only don’t hurt but also make your work quite easy while camping. Some portable axe models come with hammers, fish scalers, knives, nail pullers, bottle openers, etc.
- Do regular maintenance of your backpacking axe, so it is always ready for action.
- Watch out for the weight of the axe, remember that when you go to hiking, you’ll have to carry lots of other stuff with you, so having the axe less of a burden is actually helpful if you want to travel light and swift.
- Length of the handle will differ depending on what sort of job do you need it for. For cutting small branches and sizing up firewoods for bonfire a short-handled hatchet would do and for heavier jobs use a long-handled one.
- Handles come in different materials; you’ll need to make up your mind whether you want wood handles or artificial handles such as those made of plastic, fibreglass, etc.
- The axe head material and shape ensures a big part of quality, high carbon materials, and the size of the cutting edge helps to determine the level of precision of the strikes.
SERGEANT Camping Hatchet SGT-14 Inch, Camp Axe Survival Hatchet Tactical Outdoor Camping Axe
Sergeant is quite well known in the world of exquisite backpacking axes for its undeniably great quality of material and its design.Their confidence in the product is made pretty clear with their mission to make the World’s Toughest Outdoor Gear. Along with weighing less than 2 pounds, it is fashionably compact shaped for you take it anywhere along. Its durable materials make sure that you can use it for heavy-duty business. The hundred per cent lifetime warranty makes the deal more attractive.
- 14 inches long travel hatchet weighing 1.5 pounds. Making it lightweight and portable. Fits easily in most of your travel bags.
- Constructed with durable materials – the blade is made of high carbon steel, and the handle is made of lightweight fibreglass with rubber coating. Making it firm but not too heavy along with it.
- Sustains all sorts of environment, it’s compact shape makes it easier to use where large axe is too big for the work.
- The package includes a cage for the hatchet and takes very little space in your backpack or toolbox.
- Sergeant gives a 100% lifetime warranty on its product to ensure maximum customer satisfaction.
- Compact and handy design.
- It is made to last.
- Guaranteed satisfaction.
- With excessive use, the blade may lose a bit of its sharpness.
This is an all-rounder camping axe that should check all the boxes for you. A great combination of both design quality and remarkable customer feedbacks, this is one of the product that you should definitely check out.
2. CRKT Birler Compact Axe: Forged by War, Outdoor Camping or Pack Axe, High Carbon Steel, Tennessee Hickory Handle 2745
CRKT is a brand that puts much emphasis on integrity and innovation. So when you’re eyeing this particular brand’s product, you should know that your money is in the right place. This product is hefty enough to do heavy-duty work but also light enough for you to travel anywhere with it. Camping and adventures this 0.52 kg axe will prove to be your best friend during the time. The designer behind Birler knows what he is doing; Elmer Roush is a recognized blacksmith anda combat veteran. Investing their knowledge on making handy axe that fits both in battlefield and camping.
- 16 inches backpacking axe weighing 0.64 ounces.
- The stainless steel blade is made with 1055 Carbon Steel Blade, and the handle is of Tennessee Hickory wood with a durable clear lacquer finish.
- Limited Lifetime warranty.
- Lightweight, but as strong as a weapon to use in wars.
- Doesn’t get slippery.
- In an affordable price range.
- Good customer service.
- Too small handle.
- The head seems kind of loose.
- Needs to be sharpened beforehand.
With a small budget, you can do work with this, once you’ve made some modification. But if you could spare some more bucks, I’d suggest you look at the other options on survival axe here.
3. Husqvarna 13 in. Wooden Handle Hatchet
You might have came across this brand at Home Depot on the hatchets and axe section. While being true to the traditional axe design, they have also accommodated it with modern taste. The handle and rough finishing gives a handmade vibe from within it. The shape of the handle is designed to optimize all your force into the blade also while putting minimum strength to make a deeper cut. Husqvarna is one of the best axes for the amateurs.
- Overall 19-inch camping hatchet weighing 2.24 pounds.
- Premium hand-forged designed axe head.
- The handle is made of real hickory wood, and the blade is Swedish stainless steel.
- Swedish made camp axe.
- The package includes a leather cover for the edge of the head.
- Sanctions Proposition 65 of California
- Comes with a metal overstrike protector.
- It is designed for one-handed use.
- The package includes an edge cover.
- Too heavy.
- Bit off-centred unit.
This is the best axe for you if you’re looking for something durable and can be used in heavy cutting. It is also in great price range.
4. Kings County Tools Swiss Made Camping Axe. Vintage Never Used Built Real Work. Hardwood Handles
Are you a fan of vintage products and miss the ways things used to be? It may not bring the time of old school traditions back, but this bushcraft axe can undoubtedly give you a vibe of it. As far as the background story goes, these bad boys were found in an abandoned warehouse deep in Switzerland and were stored in a perfect condition so no rust will be found, they were in a great condition and have never been used. Made with hardwood, making it extra durable also pretty useful for both big and small job, because of the shape of its edge. Recreate a vintage camping; you can use it to cut wood chips for the bonfire, and cleaning space for tent, etc.
- The hardwood handle length is measured 15.5 inches, and it weighs about 2.25 lbs.
- The camping axe’s dimension is as follows, 15.5 x 0.8 x 6 inches.
- Swiss army camping axe design.
- The axe head and the cutting edge measures 5.625 inches and 3.25 inches, respectively.
- The handle is shaped perfectly to carry out most of cutting jobs, indoors and outdoors.
- You can reshaft the head.
- Cheap in price.
- Comes in a great shape.
- Perfect size of handle.
- The handle needs finishing job done.
Regarding this model, this is quite cheap, considering the quality. It also is pretty limited in quantity, so if you want to grab yours, better move fast.
5. Gerber Gator Combo Axe II [22-41420]
The name Gerber is a star in the world of modern backpacking axes. They are making regular innovations while contributing to enriching the horizon of camping axes. They are bringing new products and amazing their customers regularly. This camping axe has one of the best combos for four outdoor adventures. This unit has a handle that is longer than the average Gator models. The coarse blade handsaw that it houses works perfectly to cut down branches and bushes while the compact axe is sharp enough to do heavy spilling job, together they make a strong all-rounder gator combo.
- An all-rounder combo including an axe and a coarse bladed handsaw.
- The axe is 15.6 inches long, and the hollow part of the gator grip handle is constructed with glass-filled nylon, and covered with Gator texture.
- The axe head measures 2.70 inches and is made with hand-forged steel.
- The handsaw is 10.24 inches and has the same gator grip handle.
- The blade on handsaw lengths about 6.10 inches.
- Axe and saw weighs respectively, 26 oz. And 2.40 oz.
- Package includes a durable nylon sheath toprotect the edge.
- Great force in each strike.
- Comes in combo.
- Great edge retention.
- Plastic axe handle.
- Quality issues.
This combo axe can be a great addition to your camping gear if you want to travel light. Considering the price, the axe and the saw both come in excellent quality.
6. 1844 HelkoWerk Germany Traditional Rheinland Pack Axe
HelkoWerk Axes are one of the most powerful camping hatchet available in market. To ensure the high quality, they have used the best materials from all over the world.Starting from German high carbon steel to hickory American hickory wood also handle the Swiss hatchet, this unit is top to bottom made from high graded material. However, for a backpacking axe, this unit is pretty large even heavier than all other models we have talked about.Although, from a perspective that only means bulkier strength to cut down firewoods, logs, etc. and such.
- German-made high-quality product.
- German C50 high carbon steel with 53-56 HRC Rockwell hardness is used to construct the axe head.
- The overall axe measures to 19 inches along with a long handle made of Grade A American Hickory wood which is environmentally sustainable.
- The package weighs about 3 lbs total.
- Included a cow leather sheath with vegetable tan to protect the edge of the axe.
- Comes with a twist top nozzle – 1 oz. Axe Guard Protective oil.
- Strong and built to last.
- Suitable for both one hand and both handed use.
- Comes with axe care products.
- Quality product.
- Grade A hickory handle.
- Bit thick on hands.
This is a full unit that is enriched with high-quality materials. If your budget is a bit higher or flexible, you should definitely check this one. Also, you better be ready for slightly longer handle and heavier axe than other survival axes.
7. GRAND WAY Small Survival Camping Axe Hatchet with Anti-Slip Rubber Handle – Survival Hatchet Axe for Camping Outdoor
This camping hatchet is one of the best bushcraft axe available in the market. While the axe head is forged in stainless steel, the handle is also made of thermoplastic rubber which is best known for its shock-absorbing property.So you can take it to your adventures without any second thoughts and do striking, cutting, splitting, chopping, etc. without a worry of the world. Its lightweight and portable design is useful in all sorts of versatile axe jobs while it is effortless to carry and fit around in your camping gear.
- Product dimension is noted as 12.8 x 4.5 x 1.1 inches.
- This small gardening axe weighs approximately 12.8 ounces.
- The rubber handle is shock-absorbing, so cutting and chopping firewoods are more optimal than ever.
- #1 forest hatchet for both camping and everyday work –hiking, camping, bushcraft, hunting, and so on, this hatchet will be your best friend in all your adventures.
- Comes with a sheath to protect the camping hatchet from wearing out, which is made from heavy-duty nylon fibre.
- Comes with a 10-year guarantee ensured by GRAND WAY and 100% money-back guarantee upon facing any dissatisfaction.
- Very cheap compared to the astonishing quality.
- Light yet strong.
- Comfortable to use.
- Fits anywhere.
- The sheath could use a little modification of design.
8. BAALAND Military Folding Shovel, Entrenching Tools Camp Survival Shovel with Tactic Multitool for Car Emergency Hiking Backpacking Metal Detecting Garden Fishing
Military survival documentaries and techniques look appealing to all of us. But not all their tools are easily available to the common mass. But one thing that all their tools have in common is the sturdy built; such is the BAALAND Military Camping tool – this pack includes just about everything you might need to survive in the wild, and what’s better? In an extremely lightweight and portable design.It is also designed to be carried in comfort. Since the package includes various useful tools, you can always keep them with you to get out of a pinch. Because of their portable design, you won’t even feel its weight inside your baggage.
- This all-rounder survival package includes everything you need for the wilderness – Shovel, hoe, ice axe, hammer, screwdriver, fire starter, hexagon spanner, bottle opener, nail puller and a serrated saw edge.Whatever your adventure plan is, this unit hasgot you covered.
- The axe blade and knife is forged respectively with heat-treated high carbon steel and aerospace-grade aluminium to ensure lifetime durability and to keep it rust-free for an extended period.
- The carrying bag is really convenient to move around; it perfectly houses all the tools and makes optimized use of space.
- The foldable shovel, multi-purpose knife, etc. can not only be your hiking companion but can also can work as your emergency tool supply.
- Guaranteed satisfaction. Otherwise, 100% cash refund assured by BAALAND.
- A single foldable shovel can be locked into 45°, 90°and 180°respectively to adjust as hook, hoe and shovel.
- Many in one package – all handy tools.
- It is built with sturdy, durable material.
- Rich craftsmanship.
- Dull edge of the shovel.
Once you get the hang of this survival kit, you’ll never want to leave the house without it. An absolute unit, most of the customers loved it.
9. Iunio Camping Axe Multi-tool Hatchet Survival Kit 17 inch Folding Portable Camp Axe for Outdoor Hiking Backpacking Hunting Emergency
Just like the name suggests Iunio, which means youth, it aspires to make its customers’ life full of fun and life. Their products are directed to add more dimension to your outdoor experience. So the real outdoor enthusiast will never be dissatisfied from their product. This particular camping axe belongs to a full set of useful tools that you may find yourself in need in the wilderness. Let yourself be lost among the nature through camping, hiking or hunting, in any way you please but remember to throw in Iunio survival kit with your baggage, and be prepared for worst of the conditions.
- An all in one survival kit with multi-tool hatchet – it includes an axe, hammer, a bottle opener, compass, a safety hammer, fish scaler tool, flint, an emergency whistle and a carrying bag.
- The axe is 17 inches long, and the package is noted as 2.47 pounds.
- The kit can be used to make firewood, split small legs, breaking glasses for emergencies, freeing yourself and others from obstacles and the list goes on and on. There is no limit what you can achieve with this, use your imagination as your guide and this kit as your weapon to get you out of sticky situations.
- Through the tubular engineering, the hatchet assembles and disassembles easily. You can use the full version for regular use and a shorter version in small places or to cut small branches and logs.
- The protective sheath that comes with the package not only protects the edge, but also you can attach it to your belt and free your hands while working.
- Sturdy built.
- Great customer service.
- Adjustable length handle.
- Small enough to store and fit anywhere.
- Not suitable for big jobs.
- The compass doesn’t give exact read.
If you’re keeping an eye out for the best survival hatchet to accompany you on your next adventures, trust me, this is worth it. It has excellent feedback, and like them, maybe you’ll come to love it too. Not to mention, it presents so much at a very reasonable price.
10. Husqvarna 576926501 19” Wooden Carpenter’s Axe
Just like the previous model of Husqvarna we talked about, this one is pretty much the same; the difference is in the size of the handle. When the short-handled model hit the market, it was pretty much a success, so the manufacturers made one with longer handles, thus this. This is a larger sort of axe than other usual backpacking axes. This camp axe is designed so that you can not only use it with one hand but also use it with both hands. However, to make this axe last long, you got to take good care of it. Before you store the hatchet and cover it sheath clean it free of dust and moisten it. If the storing is intended for a more extended period of time, apply grease over it to prevent it from rust.
- The wooden carpenter’s axe measures 20 inches overall and weighs 2.4 pounds.
- The handle is made of hickory wood, as a Husqvarna and the axe head is constructed of Swedish steel.
- The handle and the head is attached through a fastening of wooden and steel wedge.
- The recess of the head makes sure of maximum control and cutting precision.
- The package includes a leather cover for the protection of head’s edge.
- Built to last.
- It’s well balanced to use.
- The lightweight ensures fast swings.
- The head may wear out after consecutive uses.
If the axe you require needs to be a bit longer handled, then I guess you should give this one a chance. Nonetheless, more than a backpacking axe, it is more suitable for works such as carpentry. Understand what you need first.
I don’t see why not; they make great carving tools You’ll have to check the product description first, if it supports replacement, then yes. These are sharp objects meant for cutting and splitting things; you shouldn’t be too comfortable with those around your children.They are initially similar, but those with smaller handles are called hatchets.
Survival kits, including a portable axe, is not only an aid to camping, but it is also a safety measure. To a certain level, portable hatchets can get you out of many complexities that you might be introduced to while camping. While choosing an axe put importance on what you need the most if it isn’t clear then you won’t be satisfied with your purchase no matter how many bucks you spend on it. The main thing is to have your job done while spending just enough to that you don’t buy cheap useless axes or also don’t spend too much on some axe with fancy features that you don’t even need.
Check Related Article: